Language Translator

Wednesday 28 March 2018

7th Scandinavian Rock Pipit for Scilly

Yesterday at morning Point I got my second ever Scandinavian Rock Pipit after finding the first for Shropshire at Woodlane on April 4th, 1995! 

  Yesterday I made the short cycle to Morning Point where one of the pale juvenile Iceland Gull was feeding with Herring Gulls in the bright evening sun. While taking pics of the Iceland Gull, I spotted a very interesting large gull come in. It was clearly a Herring Gull but I couldn't tell you what age it was as it had an adult bill, head and upperparts but 2nd winter wings, tail and the underparts were unusual for your normal 2nd winter Herring Gull. At the same time a Rock Pipit called close to my right and very briefly with my bins before it flew behind a boulder, I could see that it was a possible Scandinavian Rock Pipit! Fortunately it flew up and landed nearby for a few seconds where I could see that it was a Scandinavian Rock Pipit. My first for Scilly! I dipped out one two years ago ago on the same date as this one that Bobby 'Dazzler' Dawson found at Pelistry. This individual flewoff with 2 Rock Pipit and out of sight. Before seeing the pipit, I had already let every know about this odd gull but as it was getting dark only Scott Reid twitched it. It was still present when we both left to go and watch England and Italy in the Club.







   





As Mashuq Ahmad said 'It's a freak!' Is it an adult or a 2nd winter Herring Gull? Whatever it is, it's an very interesting gull to observe.








  

The pale juvenile Iceland Gull





The day before both juvenile Iceland Gull were both at Morning Point. Today they were joined by the juvenile Glaucous Gull

This male Stonechat was nearby


Sharon Van Etten (born February 26, 1981) is an American singer-songwriter[2][3] and actress from New Jersey. Later, she moved to Tennessee to attend Middle Tennessee State University and studied recording, but dropped out of college after a year. Van Etten ended up working at the Red Rose, a coffee and record shop and music venue in Murfreesboro, for about five years. In 2004, she moved back to New Jersey, where she worked at Perryville Wine and Spirits. Van Etten moved to New York City in 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment