Language Translator

Wednesday 3 January 2018

Another Kumlien's Gull at Porthcressa

Andy Holden found this adult Kumlien's Gull at Porthcressa but it soon moved to Morning Point where this photo was taken

  If you don't like lots of pics of white-winged gulls, then look at a blog about knitting! The white-wingers just keep on coming and with the strong gale force SWW it's not really that surprising although numbers are pretty high. This morning I made my ways to Morning Point and after 30 minutes nothing. Ten minutes later after leaving Morning Point I arrived at Porthcressa only to get a call from Andy Holden about a juvenile Glaucous Gull! A few minutes later he was calling to tell me the Glauc was heading my ways. The came bombing in above and swirled around for a while. Will Wagstaff joined me as the Glauc was on the rocks at Pilchard Pool. The sun was in the wrong direction for us to see any detail on the bird. Another call came through from Andy Holden who was on the bank behind us. 'I guess you got the adult Kumlien's Gull!?' My reply 'No way!' We couldn't see it as we were to low down but with the sun we still probably wouldn't of seen it. It landed next to the Glauc with another above them! The Kumlien's flew towards Morning Point where Martin Goodey and I relocated it and for the next hour, everyone got cracking views of the Kumlin's and a juvenile Iceland Gull.
  As usual everyone was predicting what would turn up on Scilly from Storm Eleanor but no one was expecting another SNOWY OWL!! It was found by Viv Jackson on st Martins going to roost on White island. It's white apparently ruling out the individual that was on Bryher over a month ago before being relocated in SW Cornwall.






Adult Kumlien's and juvenile Glaucous Gull together at Pilchard Pool, Porthcressa






















Adult Kumlien's Gull showing off at Morning Point This only my forth Scilly Kumlin's Gull and was my first adult that I've seen







Then the Kumlien's Gull was joined by this juvenile Iceland Gull shortly afterwards and when Martin and I left Morning Point, one of the Glaucous Gulls came in seen by other observers



Thanks from a call of Martin Goodey telling me that the 2 Black-necked Grebe and Red-breasted Mergenser were close into the houbour showing well, I had a rest from gulls and got pics of them all in the bad light

A lot of us arranged to finish the last hour at Porthcressa and got the Kumlien's and single Glaucous and Iceland Gull and the only new gull was an adult Yellow-legged Gull.

  Yesterday morning I had ten minutes before my next taxi and on the ways from the airport I had a quick look at the tip where there were some 60 large gulls on the roof. One of the gulls was front on and although I couldn't see the wings, I could see that it was an adult Iceland or Kumlin's Gull. Front on turned out to be it's favorite position and I had to return to work. I called John Headon, whose house overlooks the tip, to keep an eye on this gull to see if it's a Iceland or Kumlin's Gull. Fortunately why I was on the mobile to John, the gull shuffled to the side a little to show it's white primaries. 'It'a ok, it's an Iceland Gull' I told John. I was just about to leave when it flew directly towards me and landed on one of the white bags at close range only to fly off again towards Porthmellon with the other gulls. I quickly let the others know and then raced to work as I was late for my next taxi.
  I was driving my wagon to the airport when Bobby 'Dazzler' Dawson let me know that he had one of the juvenile Glaucous Gulls at Porthcressa. The couple that were in me wagon were birders and wanted to see it. So we did and observed fly out towards Morning Point. Work does have it's advantages now and then.

  4 birders also went to Tresco and had Yellow-browed Warbler, 2 Siberian Chiffchaff and single juvenile Iceland and Glaucous Gull.

First view I had of the adult Iceland Gull on the roof  of the tip 













The Adult Iceland Gull briefly showed well before flying off towards Porthmellon


After couple of solo performances as a singer songwriter, Dukat Stray a.k.a. Stray Dogg decided to form a band in the winter of 2011 with Ana (violin), and Jelena (piano), girls who are Music Academy (Belgrade) graduates.

The band performed as a backup to Chinawoman and Scout Niblett after only couple of months practice, with a 4 song Demo only availible. The band needed another guitar player, and that’s when Marko from the Belgrade electropop band Inje, joined Stray Dogg band to play lead guitar. The band recorded their first album in 2011, called 'Almost', and published their first single. In 2012 they released the second album, 'Fire's never wrong', which featured a collaboration with the famous american singer songwriter Devendra Banhart, on the future single 'Time'. Vladimir Milicevic on bass, and Relja Ilic on drums joined, to form the final line up of the band.
The band played some big concerts, and almost every important festival in the region.
In 2015. in October Stray Dogg published their third album 'Come Along Wind', and now are touring and promoting their final album.

No comments:

Post a Comment