Language Translator

Saturday 25 November 2017

Morocco Day 2

Got 6 Maghreb Lark in total between Quarzazate and just before Bournalne. All on the roadside of the N10

  Another early start and after a good healthy breakfast, this time I was on the N10 driving NE towards the Dades Gorge, where I'll be staying. I had just driven outside the city when I saw a dirt track to my right and took it. Two minutes later I was watching 2 Thekla and Desert Lark and my second new species of the trip, 8 Trumpter Finch. I located them first by there call and then pinned them down. However, they never let me get close to them and always just a little further away from me as I tried to get that little closer! Great start!



I saw 2 Desert Lark


8 Trumpter Finch was my second new species on the trip





  


Good numbers of both Black and white-crowned Black Wheatear can be seen all along the N10.

  Returning to the N10, I could see the lake to my right and was looking for a suitable track that could take me closer. I found a wide track that took me all the way to the edge of the lake. On my ways down I got 3 Speckled and 2 Sardinian Warbler, 2 Long-legged Buzzard, 30+ Crag Martin, 2 Stonechat, Serins and another male Moussier's Redstart. Chiffchaff were all over the shop and I observed two birds circle and then fly out across the lake which seemed to stretch for miles! On the lake itself there were Little egret, Grey Heron, Coot, Black-heased Gull, 3 Ruddy Shelduck, 2 Little Grebe and 15+Great-crested Grebe.

Male Moussier's Redstart

Got a surprise when I flushed this Red Fox from cover



One of the 2 Long-legged Buzzard




Over 30 Crag Martin were hawking around the lake


Barrage El Mensour Eddahbi Lake




 An hour later I turned right off the N9 again and took a road to Sultana Golf Course at the east end of the lake. Driving around the hotels, I didn't see much except Greenfinch and a single Southern Grey shrike and a possible female Atlas Flycatcher. I was at the edge of the vast lake but nothing of interest on the water. Any comments welcome on the flycatcher










Out of the 6 Maghreb Lark that I saw all on the side of the road, this indervidual just before Skoura.

  Finally got to Hostel raid Alt Ali just 5Km from Dades Gorge at 16.00 giving me an hour to goin and have a look at the site before dark. I had been here before, so I knew what to expect. The road going up was very widing and gave cracking views and a close encounter with a Blue Rock Thrush. Rock and House Bunting, Serin and 3 Black Redstart, including 2 males. Back at the digs, I had the best vegetable Tanger that I have tasted in Morocco so far and homemade soup for starter on the rooftop of the hostel.


Blue Rock Thrush

House Bunting

Male Black Redstart

Dades Gorge


Nothing changes in Morocco. Some still live in caves

The view from the rooftop



This is the room where I'm staying in







Anyone visiting this area, I recommend staying at this hostel At only £5 with breakfast a night, makes it a great deal!! Also, the evening meal was full on and very tasty!  

The owner of the Hostel Riad Ait Ali where I am staying at, has asked me if I know anyone who would be interested to come and volunteer at the hotel for a month or longer. You would get get free accommodation and food. Also, if they've got guest who are going trekking in the Sarah Desert, you  go for free! 

Anyone who is interested in volunteering at Hostel Riad Art Ali then please contact dades.hostel@gmail.com or WhatsApp on +212615377623

No comments:

Post a Comment