Language Translator

Friday 9 December 2016

San Jose, Costa Rica

Volunteering at an animal sanctuary and while working in the garden I came across 2 superbTailess Whip Scorpion.

  I arrived in San Jose, Costa Rica on Monday and a 45 minute drive north of the city at San Migual, I arrived at the animal sanctuary where I'll be volunteering in looking after the animals for the next few weeks. I'm enjoying it so far. The food is very good and there is  so much that I have forths! The other volunteers are great crowd to work with. As I'm in a rural part of the country with the nearest shop being a thirty minute drive away, the internet can be hard to get. However, being out in the sticks and there is so much wildlife to see just outside my doorstep! I ain't explored that much, due to working, but today I was moving sheets of metal in the garden. Now at home, all you would be worried about what might jump out at you when you lift the sheets of metal is, nothing! Here it's a little different and while carefully lifting each sheet up, so not to harm anythin that might be under, were 2 Tailess Whip Scorpion and Woodland Cockroach and a frog that got away. I've not done any birding really and anythin that I have seen has been a stones throw away from my accommodation. Here are a selection of photos of my first few days at the animal sanctuary.

Part of the accommodation where I'm staying. Wroke up on the first morning and there was a Ferruginous Pygmy Owl perched outside


And just outside my door are these beautiful Zebra Tarantrula that hide in theirs holes until you tickle the entrance with a long piece of grass stem

Tropical Orb Spider

Orchard Orbweaver

Arrowshaped Micrathena

Leopard Wandering Spider


Tailess Whip Scorpion

This Woodland Cockroach is nearly as big as my hand and that's it's dropping behind it!!

Only a few minutes walk and there is a river and an evening stroll produced this Rain Frog 

and during the day there is Spotted Sandpiper and this Green Kingfisher


Crane Hawk

Squirrel Cuckoo

Cinnamon Hummingbird

Masked Tityra


Hoffman's Woodpecker

Yellow Warbler

Summer Tanager


The talented singer/songwriter Laura Marling with her latest single.

No comments:

Post a Comment