Language Translator

Tuesday 15 November 2016

Long-tailed Duck at Ellesmere

1st winter male Long-tailed Duck at Ellesmere was only my forth for Shropshire

  Two years ago I left Scilly in November on the day a Long-tailed Duck was discovered in me parents back garden, Trench Pool! You can see the pool from the house. Deja vu! Another Long-tailed Duck was found by John Morris on the day I left Scilly two days ago! This one was a 1st winter male on my old local patch, Ellesmere and I went to have a look at it today. Before that, I hit Venus Pool this morning to try and connect with the male Hen Harrier that's been in the area for the last week but only bird of interest was a single Black-tailed Godwit.

Black-tailed Godwit



Male Reed Bunting

  I arrived at Ellesmere in the afternoon in the drizzle and had an adult Yellow-legged Gull and immediately got the 1st winter male Long-tailed Duck almost in the center of the mere. Great! However it was no near as far as the Scaup I discovered at the far end of Whitemere. Also had a personal record of  110+Cormorant including 87 at the latter site. 100's of Fieldfares also in the area. Before going to Venus this morning, I was deciding if I should go and twitch up road for the male Hen Harrier and 2 Great Grey Shrike at Whixall Moss but I reckon it would be better when the sun is out. 2 male Hen Harrier and a single Great Grey Shrike were seen on the moss today!


A much better looking Long-tailed Duck than the Trench Pool indervidual. However, the Trench bird was showing down to a few meters while this one stayed out in the middle of the mere.

I hope someone can get a better pic of the Scaup on Whitemere.

This partially leucistic Lapwing was at Woodlane

Very small numbers of Common Gull on the meres

Just as I was leaving to catch the plane from Scilly, Dave came down and then followed me all the way to the petrol station and landed on the nearby roofs. (That's as far as he follows me) With a tear in me eye, I said goodbye and carried on to the airport. Hopefully you will be waiting for me when I return next year Dave! 




Tindersticks are an English alternative rock band, formed in Nottingham in 1991. They released six albums before singer Stuart A. Staples embarked on a solo career. The band reunited briefly in 2006, but more permanently the following year. The band have recorded several film soundtracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment