Language Translator

Monday 10 October 2016

3 Red-breasted Flycatcher at Newford


Male Western Subalpine Warbler in Sycmores in the garden of St Mary's Hall, Hugh Town

  Despite the clear skies overnight, the Subalpine Warbler sp was reported showing in the Sycmores in the garden of St Mary's Hall first thing this morning. I had a brief look on my first trip to the airport. Stuart Davenports mate heard it make a 'tech' call as it disappeared over the road. So this would make it a Western Subalpine Warbler and this was confirmed when I returned an hour later and a few us got a pic of the tail spread out showing white only on the outer tail. Still a cracking bird as it showed at very close range and was not concerned with folks meters away, coming and going from the hotel. Mid-afternoon, the warbler was deserted as Chris Collins found a Red-eyed Vireo in Carreg-Dhu Gardens. Where the hell did that come from!? With easterlies for well over a week now and out of the blue, a yank! I guess it's been hiding maybe. I saw it immediately on arrival out in the open in the two tallest Elms in the garden and then I had to return to work.





Only the outer most tail feathers was white and the 'tech' call was heard pointing to Western Subalpine Warbler

Record shot of the Red-eyed Vireo high up in the Elms at Carrig-Dhu Gardens

  At 16.00 the sun was out and I thought I would try and get better pics of the Red-breasted Flycatcher at Newford and have a wounder around the area. A flick of the black and white tail picked it up easily. I stood still and sure enough it perched in front of me but while I was on it, I was sure that I heard another RBF rattling further down the hedge. While the one in front of me was still on view, I looked to see where I heard the call and sure enough there was another RBF out in the open. After this, both birds were spending most of there time chasing each other around. It must be the individual I found yesterday nearby or maybe the one that was closest to me was the individual that I found yesterday! It was one way or the other. However, what ever way it was, totally changed the whole picture when I walked into the next field. As I was announcing on the radio that there were 2 RBF at Newford, I was just stepping into the field away from Newford when I heard the rattle of an RBF. I looked up and there was the RBF in the same Elm that I found yesterday! 3 Red-breasted Flycatcher in a minute of each other! I got back on the radio 'Make that 3 Red-breasted Flycatcher!' I returned to the site where the 2 RBF were and found them still there.
  In the fields I also got 2 Willow Warbler, 12 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 15+Redwing, 2 Yellow-browed Warbler and a Northern 'type' Willow Warbler. Nothing like the bird we had last week at the pond.





I couldn't see any difference between the 2 Red-breasted Flycatcher next to Newford Duck Pond.

However, the individual in the field shows a more prominent and pale tips on the greater coverts

There were up to 12 Chiffchaff feeding in the sun

When I first picked this warbler up high up in the Elms, by it's large size and pale underparts, I thought it was goin to turn out to be an Arctic Warbler. It didn't take long to realize that it was another Northern 'type' Willow Warbler. 

Had a look at the Black-necked Grebe at Porth Mellon and then I had a walk along the Dead Pine walk, Garrison just before dark and saw 6 Chiffchaff, 2 Blackcap, 1 Spotted Flycatcher, 20+Swallow, the possible Eastern Lesser Whitethroat and this Yellow-browed Warbler


The intro of this song reminds of a Pearl Jam song which I can't remember the title of. Music sounds like Mazzy Star. Widowspeak is an American indie rock band from Brooklyn, New York City, United States. They are currently signed to Captured Tracks. The band consists of guitarist and vocalist Molly Hamilton and guitarist Robert Earl Thomas.[1]

1 comment:

  1. Hello Spider. If you get a chance listern to The tragically hips. Fiddlers green. Ahead by a century and It carnt be nashville every night. Thanks for lifts back to the castle. Stay safe. Great pics of the birds.

    ReplyDelete