Language Translator

Friday 27 February 2015

Hen Harrier at Venus Pool

This female Hen Harrier performed superbly at Venus Pool   

  A Hen Harrier has been hanging around in the top fields SW to Venus Pool for a week now. Just before 12.00 I arrived in the car park where I caught up Jim. With the sun out, I guess he had the same idea and we made are way along the path bordering the field. For the next two hours, we were entertained by some 100+Yellowhammer, 40+Reed Bunting and 5 Corn Bunting. Then at about 02.30, I gave the shout as I glimpsed it come up and down on the brow of the hill. A wait and then it was in view for all the birders present. For the next few hours, the harrier showed on and off quartering the field at very close range, scattering the buntings all over the shop and catching a Reed Bunting.
  I had a great afternoon and it depends who you talk to, but according to a birder that we were talking to, he told us that he had the harrier two weeks ago. While we were still conversation with him, another guy arrived and said, 'yes, you do know that I had it three weeks ago!' You had to be there, but I cracked up and Jim lost it to. A couple approached us and I was waiting for them to say that they had it last year! They had twitched it all the way from Dudley and went away very happy with having cracking views of the harrier.

Eli of 'Last of the Summer Wine' as usual, hadn't got a clue what was going on around him or in this case, behind him. Here he's been watching a kids kite for over an hour mistaking it for the harrier 








Everyone present got cracking views, except for Eli.


Up to 5 Corn Bunting were seen

Female Reed Bunting

Two days ago this 1st winter Yellow-legged Gull roosted at Trench Pool

Image result for eli last of the summer wine
And here's Eli smiling after getting cracking views of the kids kite, I mean the harrier.


Johnny Cash would of been 83 yesterday and Joe Strummer would of been 63 in December. These two covered an amazing song by the one and only Bob Marley just before Strummer's death. I was so lucky to meet and talk to Johnny Cash nearly 25 years ago!  

No comments:

Post a Comment