Language Translator

Friday 6 April 2012

DARTFORD WARBLER at Deep Point

Female 'type' DARTFORD WARBLER at Deep Point

  This morning I got a call from Ritchie telling me that he had a HOODED CROW at Deep Point! Only the 5th Scilly record and hot on the heels of the one day stayer at the Golf Course last year on the 7th April! I was way deep in work and had no chance of getting up there. However, mid-afternoon Ritchie was on my mobile again telling this time that he had a DARTFORD WARBLER at Deep Point! This time I could make it and after dropping off 4 cornish and a French birder all twitching the Northern Waterthrush, I got botyh Higgo and Smoothy from Town and raced up to Deep Point. As soon as we got out the car, Ritchie and Tony pointed to where it was and we all got brief but good views. A few minutes later it was relocated a lot closer and this time it was on show for a good few minutes out in the open, before disappearing back into the Gorse. Ritchie had returned to try and see if the Hoody was still around. He started scanning the Wheatears feeding in the area and saw something moving behind one of them and relised that it was a Dartford Warbler! Later, Ritchie also got a male Ring Ouzel by the quarry and at Porth Hellick he saw the first Sedge Warbler of the year.



The DARTFORD WARBLER was a long ways off for the camera and only my 5th Scilly record. The Scilly megas in one day! Nice one Ritchie!

Martin and Smoothy waiting for the warbler to appear

  Returning to town, there were 10 Swallow flying above the road at Porth Hellick and later in the day I saw my first 2 House Martin of the year above Robin's house at Porthloo. Andy Houlden and Vicky made a visit to St Agnes and got a Rook and Tree Pipit. Only the French birder connected with the NORTHERN WEATERTHRUSH. How long is it going to stick around?

On the 2nd April, while playing football at the school for the first time in nearly a month after my injury, 4 CANADA'S GEESE flew low going East from Lower Moors. I had time to get me camera but as you can see, there 10 miles off down road. The day before, Will had 6 on Tresco and when Higgo made a visit on the 4th, he found 8!
 

Both Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff are starting to be heard in good numbers 

Starling at Star Castle


2 Greenshank have been spending time at Lower Moors with up to 9 Teal

A Carrion Crow taking advantage of the many baby rabbit that are around at the moment

And here is a pic of our resdent Hooded Crow that Robin took a few days ago on Bryher


My singing angel singing two of her own songs 'Gone with the Others' and 'I saw you There' at The Old Town

No comments:

Post a Comment