Language Translator

Wednesday 4 May 2011

Leucistic Wheatear and the first Spot Fly of the year

Luecistic Wheatear at the Life boat slip Martin Goodey


  On the way to work I had a quick look for the yesterday Whinchat at Pungi's Lane and found it immediately in the center of the field. There was also a Whitethroat singing nearby and just down the road at Newford was a singing Sedge Warbler. Another Sedgy was singing at work with over 20 Swallow feeding over the castle.




The male Whinchat at Pungi's Lane was still present 

  Jim's wife, Liz, found a striking leucistic Wheatear at the life boat slip end of Town Beach! When I got there it was being chased around by a male Wheatear on the carn just above Roy Duncan's garden. Everyone had never seen a Weatear like it before and it wil be interesting to see if it is seen elsewhere on Scilly.



Leucistic Wheatear Top two shots Martin Goodey 

  The helicopter was twenty minutes late so I decided to have look for the Carrig-Duh Spotted Flycatcher that Conrad found yesterday. As soon as I opened the gate I could hear a Garden Warbler singing which was drowned out by a singing Blackcap. While looking for the warbler, the Spot Fly perched in Elms just above me. I also saw the warbler and there were 10+House Martin above the pines.



Garden Warbler and Spotted Flycatcher at Carrig-Duh Gardens 

 The boss gave me some time off, mid afternoon. So I went to do the fields at Maypole and saw 2 Tree Pipit and Blackcap and a singing Sedge Warbler. There were over 60 Swallow, 40 House Martin, 6 Sand Martin and a single Swft in the air.

  While driving up Sunnyside, an adult Hobby was drifting slowly low towards me. I got out of the wagon but the bird had moved on.



2 Tree Pipit were at Maypole 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment