Language Translator

Sunday 8 May 2011

First Manx Shearwater of the year


  At 18.00, Gayna and I caught the supper boat to St Agnes for an evening stroll around the island. We had a quick look for Colin Sage's imm/fem Golden Oriole in the Parsanage and then headed on towards Wingletang. In the space of ten minutes, a scan with the bins from Horse Point, produced my first 7 Manx Shearwater of the year at close range going SW. The first Manx's seen this year were in late March, but this is the first time I've really tried to look for them.
 Passing the observatory garden, I saw a sylvia warbler for a brief second on the deck which gave me the impression of a possible female Subalpine Warbler! I let Doug know, who immediately came down, but we had to go and catch the boat back to St Mary's.

There were over 60 Turnstone, 15 Whimbrel and 2 Pied Wagtail on the SW shores 


The view looking out onto the bay from the Turks Head



This evening winners of the Scillonian Club quiz were BIRD BRAIN 
In the team were Big Al and from London, John and Conrad, from Derby, Tim.  

No comments:

Post a Comment