Language Translator

Friday 25 March 2011

2 Willow Warbler at Porth Hellick

Porth Hellick this evening 

Over 30 Robins were in the campsite area on the Garrison

Arrived at Porth Hellick just after 07.00 and the first bird I see of note, is the immature female Marsh Harrier flying away towards Salkee. This was quickly followed by my first Willow Warbler of the year with a single singing on the loop trail and another in between the two hides. A migrating Whimbrel was heard in the bay and a look at Carn Friars found a stunning summer plumage male Brambling feeding with 25+Chaffinch in the horse paddock. There were also 2 imm/fem Black Redstart, 5 Chiffchaff and a male Blackcap. Over 20 Robin were at Porth Hellick/Carn Friars. A call from work saw me leaving sooner than I'd liked. 

Later in the day, I found that Robins were still in good numbers on the Garrison with over 30 birds just in the campsite area! There was also 4 Blackcap, 2 White and 4 Pied Wagtail, 2 Chiffchaff, an immature male Sparrowhawk and female Kestrel. At the Woolpack, 3 male Black Redstart, 10+Meadow Pipit and a male Wheatear. 
  


 Meadow Pipit, Wheatear and Robin, all seen in the campsite area, Garrison. These Robins were never easy to get close to! 
                 
I decided to check areas for Black Redstart where I didn't have time to look yesterday. As a result, there were 11 at Pelistry, inclunding 6 on the beach and 7 at the stables. Also, a single Chiffchaff and over 30 Meadow Pipit were put up by a male Kestrel.

An hour after I left Carn Friars this morning, Jim trapped a WHITE-SPOTTED BLUETHROAT at Porth Hellick, only the forth Scilly record!! If it wasn't for that call from work, then I would of gone to see how he was getting on and maybe I would of been there when he caught it! So, this evening, Robin, Ritchie and I tried our luck. However, there was no sign of it. Instead, there were 2 Grey Wagtail, 2 Snipe, 2 pairs of Teal and the female Pochard all on the pool. 5 Sand Martin arrived and ended up roosting in the reeds. Ritchie and I saw the immature female Marsh Harrier briefly and 12 Golden Plover, 3 White and 2 Pied Wagtail on the beach.  

A nice male Grey Wagtail at Porth Hellickat Porth Hellick Martin Goodey 

A pair of Shelduck at Porth Hellick 

Martin took this shot from the Sussex hide of us all looking for the Bluethroat . From the left,  Ritchie, great camo gear, Robin, which strand of  grass? and myself, it's in the bottom of the top of the bush! A?


No comments:

Post a Comment