Language Translator

Friday 11 February 2011

Yellow-legged Gull at Porthmellon

  As I was driving to the airport, I drove past Porthmellon and saw what looked like a Yellow-legged Gull with 60 large larus gulls on the beach. I stopped the wagon and as I was just about to look for it, the gulls were flushed by the doctors dogs. They all flew off towards Newford island and I managed to pick out a third winter Yellow-legged Gull with them. It landed near the point and I quickly called Ren, so he could get a window tick. However, it was too foggy and he didn't see it, but later on, Higgo relocated it in the same area.

Third winter Yellow-legged Gull (center) on Newford Island, looking from Porthmellon beach

  Before this, a quick look over the quay wall found a single Chiffchaff, Pied and Grey Wagtail and the Black Redstart from last year was still present. There were also 2 adult Common Gull and Little Egret and a male Peregrine flew towards the Garrison.


Both Grey Wagtail and Black Redstart were on the rocks below the quay wall

Due to the fog yesterday and this morning, two people were taking no chances and decided to come over on the five hour crossing from Penzance on the Gry! I think they were relieved when they touched the ground and I don't think they will do it again.  

Sunset tonight from Star Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment