Language Translator

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Monday 3rd Janurary 2011

4 Bittern's at Marazion

 Tean had to be back at school tomorrow. So I had to make the long trip down to SW Cornwall for her catch the 11.25 plane from St Just Airfield. As this is my first break in four yrears, I decided to stay on the mainland for a bit longer. By 12.00, Tean was on St Mary's and my girlfriend, Gayna and I, walked along the front at Penzance. At Jublee Pools there were only 2 Purple Sandpipers and close inshore there were, 2 1st winter drake Eiders and a single pale-bellied Brent Goose and Great Northern Diver. Gayna dragged me around the shops and then an hour before dark we went to Marazion to see if we could see any Bitterns. Here we found it very cold, but it paid off. At about 16.15, the first one I saw very briefly fly into the reeds. This was quickly followed by one flying from the railway bridge, from my left,  all the way across to the otherside. Ten minutes later, 2 birds flew from the otherside of the railway line, also to my left, and landed in front of the pines, right at the back. Altogether, I observed 4 Bitterns. It was very cold and I couldn't wait to get back in the car. Also present were, a single Little Egret, Redshank and Water Rail, 2 Dunlins and 3 Shovelers. Lots of Snipe and Redwings were showing down to a few meters feeding on the grassy bank next to the road. 


Purple Sandiper showing very well at Jublee Pools

2 1st winter Eiders just off Penzance front


Pale-bellied Brent Goose showed very well on the beach until it was flushed by a dog walker



One of the 4 Bitterns at Marazion Marsh. As it was almost dark the quality of the footage is not at it's best.


One of the many Snipe at Marazion Marsh
 St Michael's Mount taken from Jublee Pools, Penzance

This where the Scillonian spends it's winter and at Easter it will be making it's first visit to the Scillies  
                                                


hh

No comments:

Post a Comment