Language Translator

Wednesday 26 January 2011

4 NORTHERN LONG-TAILED TITS and Dave!


NORTHERN LONG-TAILED TIT at Dymchurch, Kent 

  The weather forcast last night didn't look too good with a cold NE wind and rain throughout the day. However, Johnny and I made the right decision to visit Dungeness as there was no wind and only a light drizzle on and off. Before we went to Dung, we spent an hour driving around looking for the Great White Egret in the dykes at West Hythe. All we could find were 5 Little Egrets, male Peregrine and a single Green Sandpiper. We also had 2 Green Sandpipers fly past in front of us as we drove near Bansett. Next was Flokestone Warren to see the local Meditterranean Gulls. Only ten birds were on the grass instead of the 200+ I had over a week ago. But, these birds were at a lot closer range and including 1st, 2nd and adult winter birds. We drove into the center of Folkestone and found that the 6 Waxwings that I discovered ten days ago, were in the same tree and had increased to 8 Waxwings










I love Meditterranean Gulls!

I wanted to see the Northern Long-tailers at Dymchurch again and within five minutes of being there, I found 4 NORTHERN LONG-TAILED TITS with 3 Long-tailed Tits near the garage. This time it was my turn to call Johnny in a panic.The birds were on view for a good ten minutes and showed very well before flying off towards the school




All 4 NORTHERN LONG-TAILED TITS showed well at Dymchurch


Time was not on our side as we approached Dungeness. Here there were a family of 5 Bewick Swans, 1 drake and 7 redhead Smews, up to 4 Marsh Harriers, all on the ARC Pits as well as the usual wildfowl. A Cetti's Warbler and up to 3 Chiffchaffs were in the bushes nearby. Dark clouds were looming and we only had less than an hour to go and look for the Black-necked Grebe from Denge Marsh hide. I made the long walk round and just ten meters from the hide, I was told that it was on the pit next to the Scott hide.That's miles away and I had just come from there! So off I went and as I reached the pit, I put my bins up and looked at a Slavonion Grebe. The very same grebe that we saw over a week ago. It had moulted a little but it was not a Black-necked Grebe. What I should of done was looked from the Denge Marsh hide. Never mind, We both had another great time in south Kent again and ended with a flock of 50+Bewick Swans in a Kale Field just outside Dungeness on are way home!

Drake and 3 rehead Smews at the ARC Pits

1st winter drake Smew a little closer than the others

A family of Bewick Swans on the ARC Pits with another 50 just up the road






Dave in our house in Trench, Telford a few days ago.. He's called Dave from Only Fools and Horses!


Dave's just about to raid the house of Monkey Nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment